‘We will keep him in our hearts forever’: Family of murdered teenager speak out as attackers jailed

Three teenagers have been jailed after a “defenceless” 21-year-old was murdered over “drunken horseplay”.

Alfie Kibble, 18, of Manor Close, Thamesmead, and a 17-year-old boy were sentenced to life in prison on Friday, following a trial at the Old Bailey in August, for the murder of Gabriel Petrov Stoyanov.

A 15-year-old boy was also found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to six years and eight months in prison. 

Speaking after the sentencing, Mr Stoyanov’s family said: “No words can explain how painful it has been to lose Gabriel in such a senseless and unnecessary way. 

“Gabriel will always be remembered and we will keep him in our hearts forever. 

“It’s been a long and traumatic process to get to this verdict but we are grateful that justice has been served.”

Gabriel’s family said they felt “grateful”  after the teenagers were jailed (Picture: Family handout)

Mr Stoyanov was killed after a fight broke out between himself and the three teenagers in Bromley on November 4, 2022.

The court heard how Mr Stoyanov, who had been out with friends at a pub in Sydenham and was intoxicated at the time, boarded a bus home with his friend two stops before the defendants got on.

CCTV evidence showed Mr Stoyanov tried to engage with the group, and was described in court as acting in an “annoying” manner towards the trio. 

At one point he had flicked the ear of one of the teenagers. Although the group did not appear to be troubled by Mr Stoyanov’s antics, his attention was not welcomed, the Met said.

Mr Stoyanov and his friend got off the bus along Rangefield Road. The three defendants got off two stops later at St Barnabas Hall and walked back to where Mr Stoyanov had left the bus, the Met said.

They were later seen on CCTV armed with weapons – a knife in the hand of the 17-year-old, a heavy motorbike chain held by Kibble and a bottle in the hand of the 15-year-old.

Alfie Kibble was sentenced to life in prison (Picture: The Met)

The three defendants spotted Mr Stoyanov in a nearby takeaway shop. The Met said the three attackers hid before they jumped out and launched a “violent and deadly attack”. 

The Met uncovered CCTV that showed the 17-year-old delivering the fatal blow as he stabbed Mr Stoyanov in the chest, penetrating his left lung. All three ran off from the scene.

Officers arrived on the scene along with colleagues from the London Ambulance Service. Mr Stoyanov was taken to hospital, but he died the following day as a result of his injuries.

A post-mortem was carried out four days later, which established the cause of death as a single stab wound to the chest.

Detective Chief Inspector Kelly Allen, investigating, said: “These three teenagers killed a young man for nothing more than revenge for his minor drunken horseplay.

“I am staggered that boys of this age are carrying out targeted and deadly attacks against defenceless victims, which is evident in this case.

“Gabriel’s family and friends have suffered immeasurable pain following his tragic death.”

Pictured top: Gabriel Petrov Stoyanov was killed after a fight broke out between himself and the three teenagers (Picture: The Stoyanov Family)

Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.

Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:

“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.



If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ

Bromley – South London News