Woman arrested after police shut down Grove Park flat party

A woman who organised a flat party in Grove Park last week has been reported for consideration of a £10,000 fine for a “totally egregious” breach the Coronavirus regulations.

Police were locked out of the property in south east London and saw around 40 people leave as the attendees pleaded ignorance to what was going on.

Eventually police managed to arrest the organiser of the party and shut down the ‘dangerous’ event, which took place under the second lockdown restrictions.

Met Police were called at 3am on Thursday, November 5, to a flat in Grove Park near Bromley and conducted a search of the area when they witnessed approximately 30 people outside the block of flats in Ballamore Road, BR1.

When attendees were asked what was happening they stated that they did not know.

Officers attempted to enter the flat where approximately 20 people had been seen to leave, but we shut out of the property.

After a number of attempts to engage with people inside, no one would inform officers what was happening until eventually they were able to identify the organiser.

Police informed the woman that people needed to leave the property because they were breaching Coronavirus regulations, and around 20 more people then left the flat.

The resident of the flat denied allowing the number attendees to turn up to their address. When she was asked to prove identification, she gave various names.

The 43-year-old woman was then arrested on suspicion of breaching the Health Protection (Coronavirus) Regulations 2020 and possession of a Class B drug.

She has been released under investigation while enquiries continue for these offences. She has also been reported for consideration for receiving a £10,000 fine for breaching the Coronavirus regulations.

Sergeant David Walmsley, of the South East Basic Command Unit (BCU), said: “Large gatherings in your own home are still unlawful and will not be tolerated. Officers will continue to enforce the Coronavirus regulations where necessary to help keep people safe.

“This was a totally egregious breach of the rules which meant officers had no choice but to issue a large fine. Events such as this are dangerous, there can be no excuse for this sort of reckless behaviour.

“We are still in national lockdown and the public should continue to abide by the regulations which have been put in place to save lives.”

News Shopper | Bromley