The Met Police have confirmed that a spate of stabbings in South London are actually ‘isolated’ incidents and not thought to be linked.
It had initially been thought that the death of one man and nine more stab victims could all be connected events.
Rumours circulated that the incidents were all linked to Croydon and Selhurst where police activity, including helicopters, had been reported by the public.
For more news and features about London directly to your inbox sign up to our newsletter here.
The fatal stabbing happened in Wisbeach Road, in Selhurst, Croydon at approximately 8.10pm on Friday, 5 February and is being investigated by homicide detectives from the Specialist Crime Command.
Police have confirmed that a 22-year-old man was killed and the investigation is being treated as murder
His next of kin have been informed and a post mortem examination will take place in due course.
Officers were also informed that another male had suffered a stab wound during the incident but had been taken to hospital prior to police arrival.
His condition is not life threatening and his next of kin are aware of the incident
Detective Chief Inspector Martin Thorpe from Specialist Crime said: “We know that a group of males attended the address and an altercation occurred which resulted in the victim receiving a fatal stab injury.
“I would ask any local residents who saw or heard anything shortly after 8pm on Friday evening to contact police; no matter how insignificant you think your information might be, it could help us piece together what happened.
“I am aware that this was one of a number of violent incidents in and around the South London area on Friday evening but there is nothing to connect these incidents together at this time.
“A young man has lost his life in a senseless act of violence, leaving his family devastated. If you can help us find who is responsible for this attack, then I would urge you to get in touch immediately.”
So far no arrests have been made and anyone with information that can assist this investigation is asked to contact 101 or tweet @MetCC and quote CAD7236/5Feb.
You can also leave information anonymously by calling the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Police were also called at 6.56pm to reports of a man suffering a stab injury at a residential address in Chapman Road, Broad Green Croydon. He was taken to hospital for treatment where his condition is not life threatening.
Officers continue work to establish the scene of the incident where the victim was stabbed but there have been no arrests.
At 7.15pm four men, aged in their 20s turned up at a South London hospital suffering stab injuries.
Police confirmed that they received their injuries following an altercation in the Penwortham Road area of Furzedown in Wandsworth.
Thankfully none of their injuries are life threatening and there have been no arrests.
At 8.51pm police received a report of two men, aged in their 30s, arriving at a south London hospital with stab injuries.
It is understood that both men sustained their injuries during an incident in Jay Gardens in Chislehurst, Bromley.
Neither man’s injuries are life threatening and so far there have been no arrests.
At 9.12pm police were called to an address in Dingwall Road in central Croydon where a man, in his 40s, was found suffering a stab wound.
He was rushed to hospital for treatment where he currently remains and thankfully his condition is not life threatening.
He was subsequently arrested on suspicion of affray and a 38-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of GBH and remains in custody.
While the death of the man in Selhurst is being investigated by the Specialist Crime Command the other four incidents are being looked into by local officers from the South Area Basic Command Unit.
Gold Commander for London this weekend, Ade Adelekan, said: “While work continues to investigate the motivation and circumstances of these four incidents, I can say that they are being treated as isolated.
“However, that does not make this series of violent incidents any less shocking and I understand that residents in and around the areas where these incidents occurred will be rightly concerned.
“Extra resources were deployed last night and will continue to be deployed over the weekend. I would ask people to speak to those officers if you have any concerns or please call 101.
“Violence has no place on our streets and I want to reassure Londoners that our officers will work tirelessly to locate and apprehend those responsible.”
For all the latest updates on the South London stabbings follow our live blog here.