If you were a youngster on the verge of adulthood during the 2000’s then Bromley was a fun place to be.
Fun-fairs used to randomly show up on fields across the borough, WHSmith was filled with school kids buying ‘smelly’ gel pens and under 18’s discos were the spot to enjoy a sneaky alcoholic beverage with your pals – don’t deny it, we’ve all been there!
Whether it’s shops on our high streets closing, companies going out of business or events being axed, it just isn’t the same.
But what else did the youth of Bromley get up to whilst growing up? Where did people even buy their clothes?
For more news and features about London directly to your inbox sign up to our newsletter here.
Here are 19 things people absolutely loved about growing-up in Bromley during the 2000s
1. Attending a garage night at Delano’s night club hosted by DJ Luck and MC Neat, and cheers with a Smirnoff Ice
2. Go for a meal out with your friends at The Pizza Hut buffet and eat your body weight in food without a care in the world
3. Go to Splash at the Pavilion Leisure Centre on a Friday night, even as an adult this would be one fun pool party
4. Turn yourself upside down on the hearts and diamonds ride at the Bromley Common funfair – people weren’t too heavy on health and safety regulations back then
5. Purchasing new clothes from Tammy Girl and feeling like a style icon afterwards
6. Buying the ultimate pick ‘n’ mix from Woolworths, which very regretfully no longer exists
7. Dining out at the BHS café with your mum for a cup of tea and a Belgian bun
8. Buying the latest Millwall or Crystal Palace football kit or tracksuit from Lilywhites – the sports store literally sold everything
9. Teenagers these days will never know the excitement of going to an under-18s disco such as Blush
10. Or going to Langtrys nightclub in Beckenham for your 18th birthday
11. Messing around will all the peculiar items in the Gadget Shop
12. Impress your friends and ride your BMX, rollerblades, or even watch the skateboarders, down at Skate City which was at the end the very bottom of Bromley High Street
13. Buy a fake leather mini-backpack from MK One (admit it, we all wanted one after seeing the film Clueless)
14. Buy a pair of Dolly shoes or clumpy loafers from retailer Dolcis
15. You purchased “smelly” gel pens from WHSmith and spent most of your time inhaling strange fruity aromas rather then using them to write in your homework book
16. Hanging out in Virgin Megastore listening to all the new CDs – probably along the lines of Sean Paul, Britney Spears, Girls Aloud or garage music
17. You persuaded your mum to buy something from fashion store Jane Norman so you could use the bag for your school P.E. kit
18. You always hung around in Churchill Park, Norman Park, Foxes Field, Chislehurst Rec or any other green space because there was absolutely nothing else to do
19. Having a night out in The Royal Bell pub
Got a story? Contact me via email: Angie.Quinn@Reachplc.com